Monday 2 April 2007

Drama At The Tramway - Director's Cut

Was at KnS yesterday. KnS is SnB's new name.

Made to leave just after four and went to loo first as usual.Next thing I was aware of was my name being shouted over and over, but not Nan, Agnes. Turned out to be two paramedics. Had had a bad hypo and was unconscious. They had already given me a glucogen injection which I didn't know about and were feeding me hypostop (yuck). Was then fed a Mars Bar and Coke. Sugar was still below 2 at this point.

Turned out, the staff from the Tramway were checking the toilets before closing for the evening (7pm) and heard me snoring. They called an ambulance and had to use a screwdriver to get the toilet door open. I didn't want to go to hospital so they kept me in the ambulance until TMO turned up to collect me. TMO and BIL went back later to collect my car while TB looked after me at home.

This is not the full story. I just wanted to get this down so I would have a reminder because although I have had serious hypos before, this is the first where I have been as bad and not been at home or in a comfort zone and not had someone with me.

However, me being me, there is always something stupid in a story but I will wait until I am ready to laugh about it before I put that in print! When I started to come round and they were asking how I was, I was unable to speak coherently, but what I wanted to say was that I felt awful for the trouble I had put everyone to. But .. now I have time to think about it, I am sooo grateful to the staff at the Tramway and the paramedics couldn't have been better. They knew what they were doing, they were kind and patient and they made me feel safe. I am quite scared about the whole thing because I now realise how far into the hypo I must have been to pass out like that but I wasn't aware of what was happening. I must have thought something wasn't right because I had eaten chocolate but I didn't know. Even scarier is that if I had left 5 minutes earlier and hadn't gone to the toilets ... I would have been in the car.

Perhaps now my doctors will take notice and get me the help I need?

Yep, my life sucks!

PS Before this all kicked off, I managed to get the front of an 18 inch crossover cardigan knitted. It is in Wendy Pure (bamboo tape) and available from Stitching Time, Hamilton. Perhaps this was a warning that Nagged2k knitting should not encroach on on my me knitting time?

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Gosh, that's sounds hellish Nan. Such a shame you were the last one of the gang there. Hope you're feeling much better. x K

Flavaknits said...

Ooohh Nan - you'll need to start going to the toilets in a a pair!
One of us to knock embarrassingly and check you are alright! Hope you are feeling better. Thank you for your kind comments on the socks and top - am making progress with the frogged ock from sunday.

Twelfthknit said...

Gawd, Nan - now that I have read this I feel even worse - not that that helps you any!
You were definitely not yourself when you left us - very vague and indecisive. Why the F&*$%£"* it didn't ring my ex-nursey bell about your diabetes I don't know :0(
All I can say is you better not be IN THE LEAST BIT ECCENTRIC over the next few moths, or we'll all be jumping on you and feeding you chocolate, whether you want/need it or not ;0)
India